Organizing for a New School Year!
The new school year is only a couple of weeks away! This is the time when teachers are coming back into their classrooms, setting up and planning for the new year.
This is a busy time! There are an insane amount of tasks that all teachers everywhere must accomplish before the school year begins. It can be pretty overwhelming!
When I was teaching, I used a checklist to help me stay organized during this hectic time and I would love to share it with you!
Organization Checklist for a New School Year
- ____ Learn your schedule. Post a copy of bell schedules for your students.
- ____ Get a large calendar to keep track of student birthdays and school events.
- ____ Create a syllabus!
- ____ Figure out your rules & consequences!
- ____ Learn about your school's activities like sports, drives, assemblies, etc. for the year so you can plan around them and encourage students to participate.
- ____ Get all of the supplies that you will need for the year and organize them in the appropriate cabinets, boxes, etc. Label them.
- ____ Read and brush up on the policies, rules and expectations for teachers in your school.
- ____ Read your faculty handbook and makes notes on items that directly affect you.
- ____ Find out what is required of you in regards to lunch duty, hall duty, etc.
- ____ Join professional organizations that will help and inspire you.
- ____ Research and become familiar with the fire drill and emergency information.
- ____ Create a substitute folder for days you might have to miss school.
- ____ Taking attendance every day is time consuming. Figure out how you can streamline this daily chore so that you can be fast as well as accurate.
- ____ Create a folder with information on how you will document parent and guardian contact.
- ____ Set up your plan book and grading system. If you are using a computerized grading system, become familiar with it before you start teaching.
- ____ Outline the entire course content for the year, for each subject your are teaching.
- ____ Plan your units of study
- ____ Plan the first three weeks of lessons for each subject you are teaching. Stay ahead of the game!
- ____ Plan the procedures you will follow when distributing and issuing textbooks.
- ____ Decorate your classroom so that students will feel welcome and inspired.
- ____ Set goals for yourself often and consistently reach them.
- ____ Create a snack drawer for yourself for extra-crazy days when you don't have time for lunch. P.S. I always had a chocolate stash for when I was extra stressed out!
There is no need to stress out about that first week of school! Teachers get nervous too! How will students react to me? What kind of first impression will I make?
By ordering A week-long unit package for the first week of school from OwlTeacher.com, you can rest assured that your first week of school will be a tremendous success! Let us do the work for you and use your time to enjoy getting to know your students and presenting a calm, relaxed demeanor during those first crucial days.
Tell us what subject your are teaching and we will design a detailed, solid syllabus for your class. We will also a design a colorful, exciting PowerPoint presentation which introduces students to the subject you will be teaching and what they can expect in the coming year. In addition, we will provide you with a student inventory questionnaire to let you know more about the students, their interests and their thoughts on the course subject. Finally, we will design an original and fun ice-breaker activity for the entire class!
Simply click on our
and place your order today!
Don't delay! Order your First Week of School Unit Package and use these last few weeks of summer vacation to become familiar with the material and begin preparing for the new school year ahead!
All of us at OwlTeacher.com wish you an amazing, successful school year!