5 Themes of Geography
Unit 1: Introduction to World Geography
In this section you will introduce students to the 5 Themes of Geography using worksheets, activities, projects, and PowerPoints.
Geographers use the 5 Themes of Geography to study and learn about the world. They include:
Human Environment Interaction
When we want to learn about a certain country, city, region, etc., we use the Five Themes of Geography. For each of the Five Themes, tell students to ask themselves the following questions about a particular country or region:
- Where is the place (longitude, latitude, continent, hemispheres)?
- How far away from home is it (travel time by plane, distance in miles or kilometers)?
- What countries are neighbors of the country?
- Describe the place (size, shape).
- What is the climate (temperature, rainfall)?
- What kinds of physical features are there (mountains, rivers, deserts)?
- Describe the people who live there (nationalities, traditions, etc.).
- How do people use the land (farming, herding, mining, industry)?
- How have people changed the land?
- Where do most people live (near a river or coastline, in the mountains)?
- Why do you think people settled there (water, safety, food, natural beauty)?
- How will you travel to the place (route, drive, fly, walk)?
- Does the country export goods to other places? If so, what and where?
- Does the country import goods from other places? If so, what and from where?
- Why would people leave or move to the country (jobs, family, climate, war)?
- What language(s) do people speak?
- What are the political divisions of the country (states, provinces, republics)?
- How is the country similar to any of its neighbors (traditions, language, climate)?
Click on the links below for all the resources you need to teach an Introduction to World Geography:
Unit 1 Terms List: Introduction to World Geography
Unit 1 PowerPoint Presentation: Introduction to World Geography
Unit 1 Fill-in-the-Notes for PowerPoint Presentationn
Five Themes of Geography Classroom Activity
Creating a Map to my House Assignment
Latitude & Longitude Geography Worksheets
5 Themes of Geography Book Project
My Own Imaginary Nation! Project
Unit 1 Study Guide for theTest: Introduction to World Geography
Unit 1 Test: Introduction to World Geography
Return from 5 Themes of Geography to World Geography
Subscribe for more OwlTeacher.com tips and ideas
Sign up for OwlTeacher's Newsletter below and get more inspiration, ideas, and worksheets via email.